Christa Mills competed at the IMATS (International Makeup Artist Trade Show) Battle of the Brushes 2018 in Atlanta. With her genuine pizzazz and talent, she created a piece that did us ever so proud.
Christa even come back to us to share her experience and it was wonderful to re-connect with her. She let us know about how amazing the culture is in Atlanta and how being surrounded by so many creative artists was a true inspiration. She even shared a couple tips for our students as they head out to compete in their own IMATS in the future.
Here are her tips in her very own words:
- Print all your travel documents, your invitation letter, and an itemized list of your kit. Keep a copy with you, I got drilled hard by border security (for about 45 minutes!) who wanted to make sure I wasn’t working illegally in the U.S.
- Really explore your colour palettes. Use different hues. Go BOLD!
- Schedule to get there more than a day early, and leave at least a day later. Take in the area around you, and give yourself time to breathe!
- Plan ahead about flammable items, and talk to your airline before your travel date to see if they can accommodate.
- Don’t underestimate the power of a good costume. It really completes the look, and subconsciously is judged even if it’s not on paper.
- Hone your skills on different skin tones. Vancouver is quite light on our palette, and it was really inspiring to be in a different demographic. I have a feeling my portfolio is going to get quite the shake up!
Thanks for the amazing share Christa, and again, we are so proud of you for having met this incredible challenge!