New Image College Communicable Disease Safety Protocols
In accordance with Ministry of Education and WorkSafeBC regulations, New Image College has implemented a set of Communicable Disease Safety Protocols that will be updated when needs change. In the event of an epidemic, pandemic, or other instance of communicable disease transmission, these guidelines attempt to restrict contact and potential exposure.
New Image College will match our permitted in-person learning activities with Public Health directives. These protocols apply to the whole New Image College community, including students, faculty, contractors, and support staff.
This document outlines New Image College’s communicable disease safety protocols for in-person engagement and will be updated with emerging public health guidance from provincial authorities.
The provincial health officer and the BC Centre for Disease Control have issued the following guidance:
Current Protocols Overview
Daily Health Check
- All New Image College Community is responsible for assessing themselves daily for illness
For more information about the Daily Health Check, CLICK HERE.
If you are sick, stay at home.
When a member of the New Image College community feel ill before or duringan in-person class, they should take the following action(s), as applicable:
- Cancel the in-person class immediately and maximize physical distance with other parties.
- Leave the class as soon as safely possible.
- Consider continuing the class online if symptoms are mild.
- If symptoms persist, the individual should use the COVID ASSESSMENT TOOL or
speak to their healthcare provider to determine if they should seek testing for COVID- 19. Health questions can be directed to 8-1-1 or your healthcare provider.
All members of New Image College community are required to wear a mask at all times while indoors, subject to the following exceptions:
a person cannot tolerate wearing a mask for health or behavioural reasons.
a person who is unable to put on or remove a mask without the assistance of another person.
if the mask needs to be removed temporarily for the purposes of identifying the person wearing it.
if the mask needs to be removed temporarily to engage in an educational activity that cannot be performed while wearing a mask
Note: Masks must be worn when singing.
if a person is eating or drinking.
if a person is behind a barrier;or
while providing a service to a person with a disability or diverse ability (including but not limited to a hearing impairment) where visual cues, facial expressions and/or lipreading/movements is important
Classrooms Arrangements and Physical Distancing
Classrooms can be used with their maximum occupancy limit. Instructors should consider the following strategies to help create space between students and to support the classroom community using a positive, non-punitive approach:
- Use reminders about respecting others personal space
- Use available space to spread people out, both in learning environments and for gatherings and events, where possible
- Spread people out as much as is practical to do so.
Hand Hygiene and Respiratory Etiquette
All member of New Image College community must ensure that hand washing occurs at the start and end of each visit. If soap and water aren’t available for washing hands, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
Follow respiratory etiquette (cough/sneeze into elbow; refrain from touching face;refrain from sharing food).
- When carpooling with other students, please follow these measures:
- Spread out vehicle occupants as much as possible
- Travel with the same people whenever possible
- Set the vehicle’s ventilation to bring in fresh outside air, do not recirculate air.
- Open windows when the weather allows.
- Clean hands before and after trips
- Clean frequently touched surfaces regularly
When using public spaces, follow public health guidance for activities at places of business. Choose businesses that follow the health and safety measures outlined by the Public HealthOfficer, WorkSafeBC and the Ministry of Health.
- Carry hand sanitizer/disinfectant wipes.
- Consider possible transmission risks that the chosen public space may present (e.g.,public washroom use and enclosed spaces), and plan a course of action to try to address them.
- Consider low-risk options when selecting public spaces, such as parks.
- Be vigilant with personal hygiene practices, including frequent hand washing.
- When in a community facility, such as another school, place of business or community centre, follow the protocol established by those who are responsible forand run the facilities.
Instructors are required to maintain daily attendance records and keep accurate attendance records to assist with contact tracing if necessary.
As per WorkSafeBC guidelines, New Image College’s building ventilation systems are in good operation conditions and does not contribute to the spread of communicable diseases. New Image College will continue to ensure all mechanical heating, ventilation, and air conditioning (HVAC)systems are designed, operated, and maintained as per standards and specifications.
Cleaning and Disinfecting
Regular and consistent cleaning using “virucidal” agents for effective sanitation in the school and surfaces.
Cleaning and disinfecting of frequently touched surfaces will be conducted at least once inevery 24- hour period and when visibly dirty.These include items touched by larger numbers of people (e.g., door handles,handrails, tap faucets, etc.
All visitors must follow the communicable disease protocols and safety measures, including completing a daily health check and not entering the school if they are sick. Information on communicable disease protocols and requirements for visitors are posted by the entrance. New Image College will keep a list of the date, names, and contact information of all visitors who enter the schoolfor 45 days following their visit.