Student Guide and Resources

NIC prepared extensive information to assist you navigate your academic life, prepare for living in Vancouver and have a better understanding of Canadian culture. Access these resources through the topics below:


New Image College can only answer general questions regarding study and work permits as we are not allowed to answer questions outside of basic questions pertaining to your visa. You must ask a qualified Immigration consultant questions that are detailed and specific to your case. You may also feel free to contact IRCC directly or via their website.

What is IRCC?

IRCC stands for Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada.

The IRCC is responsible for:

  • Processing the arrival of immigrants, protecting refugees, and helping newcomers settle in Canada.
  • Granting citizenship and issues travel documents (such as passports) to Canadians.
  • Processing and reviewing applications for temporary residence, such as study permit applications, are reviewed by IRCC. 
  • The IRCC website is the most up-to-date resource as you prepare to come to Canada:
  • International Student: A temporary resident who is legally authorized to study in Canada on a temporary basis with a study permit.
  • Letter of Introduction (also called Port of Entry Letter): A document/letter sent to confirm approval of your application for a study permit. You must present this letter when you arrive in Canada.
  • Study Permit: A document allowing a foreign national to study at a Canadian institution; issued by IRCC upon arrival in Canada, upon presentation of the Letter of Introduction.
  • Temporary Resident: A foreign national who is in Canada legally for a temporary period, including students, workers, and visitors.
  • Temporary Resident Visa: An official entry document issued by a visa office; it takes the form of a sticker placed inside of your passport and may allow one or multiple entries into Canada.
  • BSO (Border Services Officer): An officer of the Canada Border Services Agency, who has the legal authority to decide who can enter and remain in Canada.
  • Canadian Port of Entry: A place where a person seeks entry into Canada, including airports, land border offices, or marine border crossings.
  • Co-op Work Permit: A permit which enables an eligible student to participate in work that is essential to the student’s Co-Op program.
  • DLI (Designated Learning Institution): An approved school in Canada from which you must receive a Letter of Acceptance before applying for a study permit. New Image College’s Designated Learning Institution number is O19274696442.
  • eTA (electronic Travel Authorization): An entry requirement for visa-exempt foreign nationals travelling to Canada by air; it is electronically linked to your passport.
  • Immigration Officer: An officer of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada, responsible for deciding who can enter and remain in Canada.

You are responsible for knowing when your passport will expire. No Canadian immigration documents will be issued to you beyond the date of the expiration on your passport. If your passport will expire before you would normally complete your studies, your study permit validity will not extend beyond your passport expiry date.

You can renew your passport inside Canada at your consulate or embassy. You will also need to apply separately to extend your study permit, after your passport renewal has been approved.

To study in Canada for any period longer than six months, all students will need a study permit. This document grants you temporary resident status and allows you to study at a designated learning institution (DLI) such as New Image College. A study permit is not an entry document. To enter Canada, you will most likely require either a Temporary Resident Visa or an electronic Travel Authorization. No separate application is required for these; you will receive the correct entry authorization automatically along with your Letter of Introduction when your study permit is approved.

Canadian embassies and consulates worldwide process study permit applications. Your permit application may be processed at a visa office within your home country or in a neighbouring country. It takes time to put together a study permit application. So, New Image College recommends that you apply for it well before you plan to travel. Check the processing times website for more accurate information. Apply for your study permit as soon as you receive a Letter of Acceptance from New Image College.

Usually, you must apply for your study permit before you come to Canada. You can only apply for a study permit from within Canada in certain, specific cases. For more information, use this link . If you are a U.S. citizen or permanent resident, a resident of Greenland, or a resident of Saint-Pierre and Miquelon, you can apply for a study permit at the Port of Entry.

Documents for submission will vary depending on your country of residence and citizenship. Review the visa office instructions for your country of residence. More information can be found on . For most study permit applications, you will be required to submit:

Your Letter of Acceptance from New Image College. You will be sent the Letter of Acceptance from Student Services during registration.

Proof of identity, such as a valid passport or travel document

Proof of finances to pay for tuition fees, living expenses, and return transportation (for yourself and any family members you bring with you). Check the IRCC website for the required amounts. Below are some examples of proof of funds:

A bank draft that can be converted
into Canadian currency.

Proof that you have already paid your tuition and accommodation fees.

Your bank statements from the past
four months

A sponsorship letter from a person
or institution, as well as supporting financial documents.

Proof of a student or education loan

A Letter of Explanation, a document explaining why you wish to study in Canada and that you understand the regulations and limitations of the study permit

Application for a Study Permit Made Outside of Canada (IMM1294)

Additionally, you may need to submit the following documents:

Biometrics: digital copies of your fingerprints, retinas, and photos.

Medical Exam: You may arrange a medical exam with an IRCC panel physician and include their report with your study permit application or apply for the study permit and wait for instruction from the visa officer.

You will be required to have a medical examination if you will be coming to Canada for more than 6 months and have lived in one of these designated countries ( ) for at least 6 consecutive months in the past year, You must see a doctor on the approved list of panel physicians.

Panel of physicians:

Full details:

Currently, the processing fee for a study permit application is CAN$150. An additional fee of CAN$85 is required for biometrics. 

Your study permit is generally valid for the duration of your study period plus 90 days (so that you may arrange for travel home or apply to extend your stay). When your study permit expires, you are expected to leave Canada. If you finish your program earlier than expected, your permit will expire 90 days after the date you complete your studies, regardless of the expiry date printed on the permit. If you are not able to finish your studies before the expiry date on your permit, you will need to extend your study permit. ​​

There may be conditions on your study permit indicating the level of studies you can attend and whether or not you are permitted to work inside Canada. It is important that you understand and comply with the conditions of your study permit. Review your study permit carefully when you receive it. International students in Canada on a study permit are required to actively pursue studies. You are considered actively pursuing your studies when attending your full-time programs and during scheduled breaks such as summer and winter breaks or while on a gap (please section below to understand types of gaps).

Having a study permit comes with certain responsibilities; that is, to actively pursue studies and make reasonable progress towards completing your program. Your enrolment status impacts whether you can remain in Canada as a student and work in Canada. Twice a year (or more) New Image College is required to report on your enrolment status to Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC).

You may need time away from studies, whether it be for health reasons, a family emergency, or because you are in-between programs. As an international student, you have special things to think about when taking a gap. You must ‘actively pursue studies’ in order to:

Remain in Canada and maintain your study permit.

Work during studies.

In some situations, you can take a gap in studies and still be considered actively pursuing studies. After your gap, you can resume studies on your current study permit if it is still valid. 

Gaps considered actively pursuing studies if 150 days or less:

Strike or school closure.

Deferring program start date after arrival in Canada. 

Switching programs at New Image College (whether you completed a program or not).

Changing institutions (whether you completed a program or not).

New Image College-approved leaves of absences

Gaps which are not considered actively pursuing studies:

Gaps beyond 150 days due to a strike or school closure

Gaps beyond 150 days when deferring program start date after arrival in Canada. 

Gaps beyond 150 days when switching programs at New Image College (whether you completed a program or not)

Gaps beyond 150 days when changing institutions (whether you completed a program or not)

Gaps beyond 150 days for a New Image College-approved leaves of absences

Any other gap not on the approved list above

office, along with your temporary resident visa or the details on your eTA once your application is approved. This letter is not your Study Permit. When you enter Canada, a border services officer will issue your official Study Permit upon presentation of your Letter of Introduction, your Letter of Acceptance from New Image College, and other necessary proof and documents. You may also be required to answer questions as directed. The border services officer has the final say on who is allowed to enter Canada.

If you already have a valid study permit for post-secondary studies in Canada, you must notify IRCC that you will be transferring to another DLI.

Changing the post-secondary school on your account is free and requires no application process. 

Remember that if you complete a program in Canada, your study permit expires 90 days after you complete your program, regardless of the date printed on your study permit.  Having that in mind, you may need extension your stay in Canada as student within 90 days of completing your program.

If you need to extend your study permit, we recommend applying two to three months before the listed expiry date.

If you apply to extend your student status in Canada before your permit expires, you may remain in Canada under implied status until you receive a decision. Implied status allows you to remain under the same conditions as your previous study permit until a decision is made on your application, as long as you do not leave Canada.

This could happen when you are extending the same status. If you are extending your immigration status AND have submitted your application before your status expires (for example, you have a study permit and apply to extend your study permit before expiry)

Please note that if your study permit expires, your other documents tied to your study permit, such as your Medical Services Plan (MSP) and Social Insurance Number (SIN) will likely expire too.

If you want to remain in Canada for longer but you will no longer be studying, you may be able to apply to extend your stay in Canada as a visitor.

As a full-time New Image College, you will be eligible to work off-campus, up to 20 hours a week while studying. If you are interested in searching for a job off campus, try looking at local job listings in newspapers or browsing online job-search websites. More restrictions may apply, click here to know all


Keep in mind that you will need a valid study permit and SIN number to work in Canada. Both you and your employer will be expected to adhere to BC Employment Standards.

Employment Standards:

You are eligible to apply for a co-op work permit if:

Holds or have applied for a Study Permit

Working is a necessary part of your study program in Canada.

You have a letter from New Image College that confirms that you will need to complete a work placement to get your diploma (Work Agreement for New Image College)

Your co-op or internship is 50% or less of the total program of study.

Your co-op work permit can only be used for this kind of work, that is, Co-Op placement, and you may simultaneously hold a co-op work permit and work off-campus if you meet the criteria for each.
If you are a co-op student, you must apply for a Co-Op Work permit.

If you already applied for your study permit, but haven’t yet travelled to Canada, you need to apply for a co-op work permit. A co-op work permit will let you complete the work placement you need to graduate. If you apply for your co-op work permit from outside Canada, and you arrive in Canada before we process it, you need to ask IRCC to send you your work permit once it’s approved.

More information:

Applying from inside Canada for your Co-Op Work Permit

In most cases, you must apply online for your co-op work permit.

Step 1: Make sure you have what you need
To apply online, you’ll need a scanner or camera to create electronic copies of your documents, and a valid credit or debit card.

Step 2: Read the instruction guide: before you complete your application. The Guide will explain how to complete ach field on the form.

Step 3: Prepare your answers for the online tool. Before you can upload your forms, you must answer some questions.

Step 4: Create your online account or sign in. You need an account to apply online. You can use your account to submit your application, pay any fees, and check your status.

If you are planning to leave Canada to visit another country during your period of studies, it is important that you ensure that your entry document will be valid for when you plan to return.Depending on your country of citizenship, you may need a temporary resident visa (TRV) or an electronic travel authorization (eTA) to enter Canada. 

If you are interested in staying in Canada permanently, IRCC has several pathways to becoming a permanent resident. You can compare the different pathways to permanent residence at this page: